Building Permits & Inspections
See sidebar to for all forms and requirements. Please call the Engineering office with any questions.
Permits are required unless specifically exempt in the Work Exempt from Building Permit (PDF). The items listed under the headers Exterior Improvements and Interior Improvements shall at all times obtain a permit.
Please be aware that even though your project may not need a building permit, any work done (including any placement of fill) within the floodplain is subject to a floodplain development permit and must comply with all city ordinances including but not limited to zoning regulations and flood damage prevention.
The following information is important when permits are required, plan submittals required to obtain a building permit, when to call for inspections, and for information and details on construction. This list will continue to grow so please check back regularly for updates and additional information. Please contact us to provide feedback and ideas on the type of information you would like included on this website about building codes and inspections.
- New Building Construction
- Building Additions
- Placement of Portable Storage Sheds (area over 120 square foot)
- Demolition/Removal of Existing Buildings
- Placement and/or Removal of Mobile Homes
- Driveway Construction
- Sidewalk Construction
- Hot Tubs
- Deck Remodeling
- New Kitchen Cabinets
- Bathroom Remodeling
- Bathroom Additions
- Interior Remodeling Work (excludes painting, wall covering, and carpet)
- Repairs/New Foundation or Basement
- Adding Bedrooms to basement
- 2021 International Residential Code for One and Two Family Dwellings
- 2021 International Building Code
- 2021 International Existing Building Code
- 2021 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2021 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Fire Code
Current Code adopted by the State Electrical Commission.
Current Code adopted by the State Plumbing Commission.
Required Plan Submittals for Building Permits
Please access How Do I Obtain a Building Permit? (PDF) to view the submittal requirements.
Footing, Foundation Wall, Framing, Sheetrock, and Final. Please access How Do I Obtain a Building Permit? (PDF) if you would like more information or a description of each inspection step.
Note: In certain cases, additional special inspections may be needed and in other cases the project will required less inspection. Any additions or deletions to required inspections will be decided at the discretion of the Building Official and will be noted on the red permit that you receive in the mail.