Who gets the permit?

The person/contractor doing the work obtains the permit. If a contractor is hired, they must obtain the permit. If the property owner will do the work themselves, they must obtain the permit. Permits are obtained at City Finance Office or the City Engineer's Office located at:
116 W Center
Madison, SD 57042

There is no fee for the permit. All that is needed is the address of the property, the name of the person or contractor conducting the sidewalk replacement, and the approximate lineal foot of sidewalk to be repaired. Permits will normally be issued while you wait.

Show All Answers

1. Why was the sidewalk painted with pink paint?
2. What does the paint marking on the sidewalk mean?
3. At a street intersection, if the corner panel or pedestrian ramp are marked, who will pay for that?
4. Can the cost of the sidewalk repair be added to the property taxes?
5. How much will it cost if the city does the work?
6. How does the city cost compare with private contractors?
7. Will the city contractor replace sidewalk that was not marked?
8. Who can do the sidewalk repair work?
9. How do I find a contractor?
10. Who gets the permit?
11. What if a tree root lifted the sidewalk?
12. Is mud-jacking permitted?
13. Is grinding permitted?
14. Can the property owners mix their own concrete?