Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Lake view at sunset

Where is City Hall located?

City Hall is located at 116 West Center Street.  Hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with the exception of holidays. 

How do I stay informed on City announcements and notices?

City of Madison residents have a few options to help them stay informed of happenings in Madison. This website, social media, departmental email newsletters & alerts, and even a texting service are used by the City.  To sign up for any of these services, visit our Stay Informed page

How do I establish a utility account with the City of Madison?

Customers must complete an Application and Agreement for Residential/Commercial Utility Service - which can be found in the Miscellaneous section of the Applications & Forms page of our website (near the bottom of the page) . Completed applications must be presented to the Finance Office located at 116 West Center Street for processing and billing. For any questions, please call (605) 256-7504.

What are restricted use site hours?

The restricted use site is located at 23241 446th Avenue which is 2 miles west of Junius and 1/2 mile north on the west side of the road.

Hours of operation are as follows:

  • Summer (April-October): Mon. - Thurs. 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Fri. & Sat. 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
  • Winter (November-March): Open on a 'by appointment only' basis. Please call 605-256-7515 to make arrangements.

The fee schedule can be found under the Restricted Use Site (Landfill) portion of the page (scroll down) HERE

Please use this document to find types of waste accepted at the restricted use site and other sites.

What is the Utility Step-Up Program and how do I contribute?

The Madison City Commission approved a "Step-Up" program for city utility customers used to establish a fund to award scholarships to graduates of Madison High School who continue their education at Dakota State University.  Click to view program information.

To participate in this worthwhile program, please call (605) 256-7504 or email

What is the City of Madison's Utility Rate Schedule?

To view the most up-to-date utility rate schedules, please visit the following pages:

For more information, contact the Finance Office at (605) 256-7504.

What are the deposit requirements for residential utility services?

In accordance with Ordinance No. 1384, the city reserves the right to require a deposit from an electric customer due to delinquent payment history. For more information, view Ordiance No. 1576 or contact the Finance Office at (605) 256-7504. 

When is my utility bill due and when is it considered delinquent and/or my service terminated?

In accordance with Ordinance No. 1405, payment of electric bills rendered shall be due by the date listed on the utility bill, but in no event shall be less than ten days from mailing by the Finance Office.  Currently, utility bills are due either the 5th or the 20th of each month depending upon where you live within the city. 

Consumers who are delinquent on their electric bills will be immediately mailed a "notice of account delinquent" which will state that the consumer will be given seven days to make payment, and if full payment is not received at the end of seven days, proceedings will be implemented to terminate utility service.

If the electric consumer has not made full payment of the delinquent amount within the seven days, as stated in the "notice of account delinquent", the Finance, Revenue and Electric Commissioner will direct the Finance Office, in writing, to issue a written notice to said electric consumer that electric service will be terminated after seven days.  Said notice will give the time and date disconnection will commence, the exact dollar amount which is delinquent and must be paid to retain electric service, and state the reason upon which the disconnection is based.

Unless the consumer has entered into a payment agreement with the city, utility service will be terminated on the date sent out in said notice if the delinquent amount as stated in the letter is not paid in full.

An residential electric account which has been terminated either by disconnection or remained unpaid at the time scheduled for disconnection will not be reinstated until all billings on said account have been paid in full, including a reconnect/reinstatement charge of $50.00 if the electric utility service is reinstated during the regular electric department working hours and $100.00 if the electric utility service is reconnected after regular electric department working hours.  Discontinued service will be resumed only upon full payment of all electric billings and the above stated electric service charge. 

What options are available for the payment of my utility bill?

Payments can be made in several ways:

  • Mailed in the envelope enclosed with your monthly bill or dropped off at 116 W. Center St.
  • Monthly checking or savings account deductions can be set up
  • Visa, Mastercard and Discover debit and credit cards are also accepted in office
  • Online payments
What is the holiday garbage schedule?

If a holiday falls during the work week, your garbage may be collected on an alternate day.  Visit the Streets/Solid Waste/Recycling page for a current Holiday Garbage Schedule (found in right sidebar).

When are recyclables collected and when are the hours of the Recycling Center?

City garbage customers are required to participate in the recycling collection program.  Visit the Streets/Solid Waste/Recycling page for more information.

Items may also be taken to the Recyling Center located at 800 SW 7th Street in Madison.  Hours are Tuesday and Saturday 9:00am - 3:00pm. 

What can I do with my outdated or broken electronic goods?

In accordance with Ordinance No. 1356, it is unlawful to combine, mix or dispose of any large electronics (desktop and laptop personal computers, monitors, printers, televisions, video cassette recorders, etc.) and hand-held electronics (cell phones, pagers, handheld video games, compact disc players, radios, cameras, etc.) within garbage or rubbish either through the solid waste collection system or at the restricted use site.  The city will have a collection day each April and November for consumers to dispose of these electronics. Otherwise, you can take them to the Sioux Falls Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at 1015 East Chambers Street, Sioux Falls.  Click here for more information about the Household Hazardous Waste Facility.

What can I do with my household hazardous wastes?

Wastes such as auto batteries, paint and aerosol products, used motor oil and propane cylinders can be disposed of free of charge at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at 1015 E Chambers Street in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. (605) 367-4946

Where do I apply for a building permit?

The City of Madison issues building permits in accordance with Ordinance No. 1433 which adopted the 2006 International Residential, Building and Mechanical Codes.  You can obtain a building permit from the City Utility/Finance Office or online. Cost is $10.00 for projects less than or equal to $500.00, then increasing depending upon the cost of the project.  Flat fees are applicable to roofing of unlike materials, siding and demolition.   Building permit fees will be doubled if construction is commenced without a permit. Contact the Engineering Department with any questions at (605) 256-7514.

Where do I apply for a dog license?

Ordinance No. 1431 repealed the requirement of dog licenses.  However, Ordinance No. 1430 increased animal impoundment fees and inoculation requirements.

What are the parking regulations and restrictions within the city?

Please refer to the police department's Guide for New Residents for information on parking, speed zones, noise, alcohol and animal violations.

When do you declare a snow emergency?

A snow emergency may be declared after a snowfall of more than two inches. Plowing starts on the snow emergency routes first and then goes to side streets.  Please familiarize yourself with the City of Madison's snow removal regulations found on the Streets/Solid Waste/Recycling page - right sidebar.  To sign up to receive alerts from the City, click here

Does the City of Madison have a mosquito control program?

Yes.  A Mosquito Control Program for the City of Madison has been approved by the City Commission.  Public awareness, along with our comprehensive mosquito control program, will help to reduce the risk of West Nile and other viruses to our citizens.

Snow Removal Regulations

Click here for snow removal regulations.

Restricted Use Site - Hours of Operation

The Madison Restricted Use Site hours move to "By Appointment Only" on November 1. Due to the favorable weather, hours will be continued as follows. This will be reevaluated each week. Monday-Thursday 1:30pm to 4:00pm Friday-Saturday 9:00am to 1:00pm