South Dakota Secretary of State Steve Barnett announced that his office will be mailing absentee ballot applications to all South Dakotans registered in the statewide voter registration file, with the exception of voters who have already applied for the 2020 election cycle or voters in counties sending applications on their own. These applications are slated to be mailed between April 17-24 to the mailing address listed on the voter registration form.
Due to the current pandemic and for the safety of all citizens and election workers, all South Dakotans are encouraged to utilize the State's absentee vote-by-mail option.
- Complete your application as soon as possible to allow for delivery and processing time.
- Select "All" in the ‘Elections You Are Requesting an Absentee Ballot For’ section to receive ballots for any election in this calendar year.
- Have your application notarized or include a photocopy of an acceptable photo identification card (SD driver’s license or non-driver ID card, tribal photo ID, passport or other picture ID issued by the US government, current student photo ID issued by a SD high school or postsecondary education institution)
OR – due to COVID-19, for this election and any other elections during the remainder of this calendar year,
Use your phone or camera to take a picture of your identification card and email it to email@example.com.
- Mail your application to the Lake County Auditor at 200 East Center St., Madison, SD 57042.
- Once your application is verified by the Auditor, ballots will be mailed to your address.
Voters who don't receive an application may download the form from the Secretary of State's website at www.sdsos.gov.
In person absentee voting will be available at the Lake County Courthouse by appointment – call 605-256-7600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The combined municipal and school election will be held in conjunction with the primary election on June 2, 2020. The elections are not combined, but will allow the City of Madison, Madison Central School District, and Lake County to share resources. The Madison City Armory will be the polling place for the three City precincts, while Herman, Winfred, Farmington, Leroy, Clarno, Orland, and Lakeview Townships will vote at the Lake County 4-H Center.
Sample Ballot – Municipality of Madison
Sample Ballot – Madison Central School District 39-2
Sample Ballots - Lake County Primary